Sunday, July 12, 2009

What you get when you play a Country Song Backwards



So I like Country Music just as much as the next person but I have a few concerns, or opinions I guess, I'd like to discuss about the quality of writing that goes into country music. So to answer my question What do you get when you play a country song backwards
You get your house back You get your dog back
You get your best friend Jackson back You get your truck back
You get your hair back You get your first and second jobs back
Your front porch swing Going ding ling ling ling
Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring
Your get your farm with a barn and a boat and the Harley
That old black cat named Charlie You get your mind back
And your nerves back Your achey breaky heart back You get your pride back You get your life back
You get your first real love back ohh big screen tv, dvd and a washing machine
You get the pond and the lawn and the rake and the mower
You go back when life was slower It sounds a little crazy a little scattered and absurd But that's what you get
When you play a country song backwards
Now I thought oh this song is kind of silly and catchy and i guess entertaining. Then, i realized how unbelievably true these words are. Leave it to Mr Bucky Covington,yes his name is Bucky, to bring you the epitome of heart tugging country music.

I walked through the door and sat down at the bar
Had a shot and a beer lit up a cigar it ran through my head,
Every word that old man said
I had a woman that loved me with all of her heart
But my pride and my temper made it all fall apart
I was to headstrong to admit when I was wrong
It's been 6 months since she moved out
Guess my pride aint helping me
I want my life back, I want that house that I called home,
I want to hear her voice and see her face every day when I get off
I want what I had when I laid down in the arms of the woman that believed in me
And that man I used to be, I want my life back.

This brings me to my next point. If you read the lyrics or even the titles to a majority of country songs, they are just kind of dumb. Most Country Lyrics are supposed to be poetic. For example I love Shania Twain. I'm a huge huge fan but some of the words she puts together baffle me.

"Must be Monday, What a dumb day, Can't drag my but out of bed." -very eloquent and refined.
My next example. My favorite example. I can't even stand to listen to this song. Its starts out fine I guess You can choose the channel
when we're watchin' the T.V. Oh, babe--it's okay
And you can pick the flavor when we're orderin' ice cream
I don't mind--yeah, that's fine I'd do--hoo--hoo--
anything for you--hoo--hoo
~Then it starts to go down hill.
Ah, it's all right if you sleep with your socks on--oh, babe! It's okay!
And you can hurt my head with your favorite rock song
I don't mind--yeah, that's fine

For you--hoo--hoo--there's
nothin' that I wouldn't do--hoo--hoo
You can put a hole in my shoe

You can put a hole in my shoe? what does that even mean. Is it some sort of wierd Canadian phrase or was shoe the only thing that rhymed with do.

Another song of Bucky Convingtons
Another song of Mr Bucky Covingtons
We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are

Here's another one of my personal favorites Honky Tonk Badonkadonk
Like Donkey Kong
And whoo-wee
Shut my mouth, slap your grandma
There outta be a law
Get the Sheriff on the phone
Lord have mercy, how's she even get them britches on
That honky tonk badonkadonk

I never thought i'd see Donkey Kong and Slap your grandma so close to being in the same sentence. These words are truly beautiful and articulate don't you think.

Then just the list of bizarre titles Goes on.
She thinks my tractor's sexy
Waiting on Two Pink Lines
I'm going to hire a Wino to decorate our house.
I’ve Missed You, But My Aim’s Improvin’
I’m So Miserable Without You, It’s Like You’re Still Here
She Took My Ring but Gave Me the Finger
I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, 'Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
Her Teeth Were Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field, While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart


Here's another point I don't get. Country Music seems to thrive on Wordplay and thinks that juxtoposition of word placement makes a phrase clever like:
Why Can't We Just Get A Long. . Long. . Neck (ha ha get it). Or
See you think he's saying along but he's saying. . well you get it
Or You're easy on the eyes but hard on the heart OR
Its a business doing pleasure with you.

One things that bugs me is that a ton of Country Artists are doing covers of classic songs.
Jack Ingram redid Hinders Lips of An Angel
Gary Allen redid Vertical Horizon's Best I EVER Had
Blake Shelton also redid a classic Brian McKnights One, your like a dream come true.

Now I'm not trying to be rude but Country Music is a very very accepting genre of the music industry.
Many of American Ido finalists have turned to Country music and have actually done quite well. I love Carrie Underwood. Kellie Pickler is okay. Josh Gracin has done decently. And then there is Bucky Covington and I have no idea how he landed a recording contract to be honest. Country Music seems to be home to those artists who have struggled in other Genres.
Jessica Simpson Exhibit One-She did the whole pop scene. Who could forget her hits I think I'm in love and Irresistable. She decided to record a country album.
Now, Draius Rucker main singer of Hootie and the Blowfish has no made a comeback as a solo country artist.
Now I hope nobody is offended. I love most country music. I think Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks are Wonderful. I'm a Rascal Flatts fan and a Brad Paisley Fan. I really think we should consider and filter the country music we listen too. That is all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't critcize Taylor Swift, because I think she rocks:) But I totally agree, country music needs to be filtered because sometimes the words
    "mmm boys she's babelicious
    That Georgia peach is now in my reach
    And don't she look delicious?"
    are way lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Hills.
    There's country music, and then there's country music.

    ReplyDelete