Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I enjoy being a Girl-sometimes


My roommate and I were talking about a week ago about how easy guys have it as far as hygiene products and what is necessary to make them look presentable.

I know we all need a few basics like toothpaste, deodorant, and razors.

Most guys, unless they have severe skin problems, could use hand soap to wash their face and not think twice about it. Guys can also use the cheap generic shampoo to wash their hair. To round off their morning routine we move to combing their hair. Guys don't need to dry their home to comb it, which is so unfair. They throw some gel in their hair, ruffle it a bit, maybe use a comb, and they are out the door.

If they only knew what girl went through in the morning. To make things easier we could start at the top of the head and go down.
Hair.
Why does picking a shampoo have to be a such an ordeal. You have shampoo for thick hair, fine, hair, wavy hair, curly hair, straight hair. You have shampoos to protect colored hair, shampoos for dandruff, shampoos to restore damaged hair, shampoos with extra moisturizers and shampoo to give you volume. And on top of that we have to buy conditioner. Don't even get me started on the dyeing and upkeep of hair and how much that will cost.

Now onto styling. We invest in hair dryers, diffusers, curling irons, straighteners to comb our hair, not to mention all of the product we actually put on our hair. Some use heat protectors on their hair, some use volumizer and mouse, if you diffuse your hair you will use quite a bit of gel and hairspray. This is not to mention round brushes and combs.

*My favorite shampoo is Color Me Happy from Herbal Essences. Although I don't dye my hair, I think it helps bring our your natural color, and it smells really good.

Now to your face. Girls require a good facewash. (again their are a billion choices. There are astringents, deep cream cleansers, foaming cleansers, etc). We also need a good moisturizer to go along with it so our face doesn't dry out. Next,We girls need tweezers. Although I hate plucking my eyebrows, it is highly highly necessary. I know several women who have light colored or very thin eyebrows who need to color them or line them with an eyebrow pencil. I also might argue it wouldn't hurt a few of the guys to take care of their brows either.

Now, the most important part of being a girl-~~~Makeup.
First you need a good foundation. I still use cheap liquid base, but my sisters love the bare essentials powder. You also need concealer, which i like to use not only to cover up blemishes but also to wear under your eyes to cover up any bags or dark circles. Some choose to wear bronzer or blush to give your cheeks a splash of color.
With your eyes, we start with eyeshadow. Not everybody wears it, but the way I put it on I'm wearing at least 3 different colors, usually 4. You have your base color for your lid, a darker shade for the outside corner of your eyes, another lighter shade for your lid, and a highlighter neutral color for your brow line. Then you have to worry about mascara and eyeliner.
My 2 favorite mascaras are Lash Stiletto and Maybeline Volume Express Falsies.

Last but not least, your lips. Some girls get away with a nice polished gloss that looks very natural and just gives your lips a subtle shine . Some prefer a little bit of color, and some really like to go for the evening va va va voom look with bright colors like red. If you are really doing the makeup right, you would probably throw in some lip liner as well.

Then you throw in your lotions and perfumes and body washes because we have to smell good. All in all, being a girl is a lot of work and get pretty darn expensive, but it can be pretty fun most of the time.

2 comments:

  1. Girls are complicated. That's all you needed to write :) That being said, I SINCERELY appreciate the effort girls go into daily to look good. I think one of the most flattering thing as a guy is when you go to pick up a girl for a date, and you can tell she worked extra hard to look extra good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true - I think that girls have a lot more, but the only part I hate is the hair. I hate hate hate doing my hair. Worst part of my day. So to minimize my washings I bought dry shampoo. Might sound gross but if it helps me last an extra day, it is worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete