Sunday, August 8, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird




Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

So I haven't read this book since 9th grade. I forgot how much I love this book. The characters are so well written. Scout is precocious and hilarious, Atticus Finch is such a good example. He is a hard working father who believes in doing the right thing. I love the dynamic between Jem and Scout. Even though he is growing up he still looks out for his little sister. This books is truly so well developed. the setting of a sleepy southern town ends up erupting with emotion and mystery. This books makes you wonder how well you can really know a person, and how important first impressions are.

I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.

As the book states, To Kill a Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior-to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos.

 You never really understand a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them.

These are some quotes from Scout that I thought were pretty funny.

"I was proceeding on the dim theory, aside from the innate attractiveness of such words, that if Atticus discovered I had picked them up at school he wouldn't make me go."

"[uncle Jack] and Aunty looked alike, but Uncle Jack made better use of his face: we were never wary of his sharp nose and chin."

"Long ago, in a burst of friendliness, Aunty and Uncle Jimmy produced a son named Henry."

"Anyway, I highly recommend this book for anybody who hasn't read it."



1 comment:

  1. I love this book too. But I think it's time for me to re-read it as well.

    Love that last quote haha.

    ReplyDelete