Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Hunger Games

Katniss Everdeen lives in a post-apocolyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once existed. This is where a government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of 12 districts for a massive televised battle in which only one person can survive.

I finally gave into the hype, I broke down and started the Hunger Games. I must admit the biggest reason I started the book was because the movie has been made and will be coming out in March. I wanted to read the book so I was familiar with the story and I knew what to expect.

I really enjoyed this story for a couple of reasons. First, the story was really original. its not your typical boy meets girl romance, and the Fight to the Death" reality of the games don't seem that far fetched, considering the times that we live in. The games are intriguing and shocking but its not completely unbelievable that something like this could happen in our real world.. .in the not so distant future. I mean just look at the horrible things you see reported and broadcast on the news!

I really liked the development of the two main characters and their interaction. I love how devoted Katniss is to her family and that she is able to put her own fears aside to protect her sister. You can see that Katniss is afraid and insecure but she knows that she's strong and she knows how to play to her strengths. I really related to Peeta though. He is brave but I would also describe him as subtle and understated, especially when it comes to his feelings for Katniss. He seems like a genuinely kind person and the way he treats Katniss is sweet.

I really enjoyed this book. I think its funny that katniss is so in denial. Peeta is just putting on a show, he doesn't really care about me. Took her long enough to figure out the truth. I am excited to read the second book and find out what happens with Katniss and Gale and Peeta.

2 comments:

  1. Hilly I am so glad that you read and liked this book. I liked them all so much and I hope you do as well as you read Book 2 and 3! I just started reading Harry Potter and I am on book 5. Book 4 was my fav but I am not a fan of the moives. The characters are better in my head than portrayed in the movies and the scenes are not as dark and disturbing! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie Jamie I definitely agree. I think its very rare that you find a movie that you like better than the book. I love the Harry Potter movies and the dynamic of the 3 main actors but the movies are different like you said. I would say hands down i prefer the books. I think there's more character development and more detail and basically more personality in the way the books are written. I am so glad you are reading them and I'll let you know about Catching Fire!

    ReplyDelete