Monday, June 18, 2012

Gypsy Style

I am in an English class this summer and our last assignment was to write a "How to" paper. After mulling over several boring ideas I came struck. I am going to explain how to shop lift like a gypsy.
Almost three years ago, I bought my first car, a silver Chrysler PT Cruiser,  which I am still driving.  I have affectionately named him Bosley. Buying a car is not a huge deal, but Bosley will always hold a special place in my heart because I acquired him under unusual circumstances. I  bought the car from my dad's friend Willis. There are two important things to know about Willis. First, Willis is in the car business and acquired my car for an amazing price. Realizing that cars are not a good investment,  I wanted to make sure I got the best deal possible on my car. Second, Willis and his entire family are genuine, in the flesh, gypsies. My dad first met them while he was working for the FBI and had helped recover one of the children in the family who had been kidnapped.  Because of my dad's friendship with Willis, I have learned one more important lesson about gypsies from Willis and his family.


 Gypsies do not believe in going to school and most neither read or write. My dad talked to Willis and his wife about their family history. My dad asked them about the birth date and place of their family members, including parents and grandparents, and even offered to help record the information.  It was really eye opening. Willis did not know where he was born. His wife believed her family had come to New York by ship. She was also certain they had come from Romania. It was clear Willis's wife  had no  idea where Romania was or that Romania was nowhere near the Atlantic Ocean.  Another fact I learned from my dad was that most gypsies typically originated in India and eventually migrated westward. Many modern gypsies claim to come from all over Europe,  including Romania, Spain, Italy, and England.                               

As great as these gypsy friends are, gypsies have a reputation for being deceitful and dishonest. In the Cher song, there is a reason that Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves  are grouped together. Over the years, my dad's gypsy friends have taught my family and me  how to acquire nice things at a "discount", and how they just happen to come by extra money. (Just keep in mind while reading this that my car sale was completely legal). Consequently,  I have learned a few tricks of the trade and can now explain how the gypsies steal computers and other merchandise from stores such as Walmart. 

I don't think it would be wise to post the rest of the details in my paper in case anybody got the wrong idea but here are some videos I found very surprising.                                                                                                                

Gypsy Jewelry Theft.       
    

Interesting Video  on pickpockets and thieves who target tourists in Italy. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment