Thursday, May 6, 2010

Busted!!!

Okay I had an awesome experience at work the other day. Some guy brought a check to cash. It was only $30.00, and it was his wife's account. Two problems. He was a not a signer on the account, and his wife's signature on the front of the check did not match our signature card.

I looked at copies of other checks she'd written. All of her signatures looked the same; identical to the signature card: letters were all straight lines: very plain without any curls or frills. Then, I examined the check and the husband's endorsement. The husband signed their last name with a tail on his cursive T and a loop on the H. And it looked surprisingly similar to the wife's "signature" on the front of the check.

So I tried to call the wife but she didn't answer her phone or her phone at work. I explained the situation to the husband. I told him I couldn't cash the check until I got a hold of his wife and she gave me the okay. He tried to call her a few times. He was kind of smiling to himself. He was rubbing his face in a very frustrated manner and muttered something about it being a "long story".

So I sent him back the check and told him to come back after his wife got home from work and she gave us the okay.
Long story short, I totally caught the guy forging his wife's signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment