Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sorry




So this is a story about a lady that came into my work. She was out at the drive thru, when she hit the call button and asked for a savings withdrawal slip. We didn't think anything of it. She "filled out" the slip. Several issues.
Number 1) I wasn't the one who helped her at first, but I don't think she had written her account number down, or even knew what it was. We can look up account numbers and this wouldn't have been a problem except for . . .
Number 2). Her husbands name was "John Smith", and she signed her withdrawal slip, Mrs. John Smith.
Problem Number 3) John is the only signer on his account. Mrs John Smith, his wife, is not.
Problem Number 4) She did not have a valid form of I.D. She didn't have her driver's license or anything that had both a picture and a signature on it.

So, she kept telling us to call her husband. First of all, their account was UTL, and didn't have a current address. So even if we had a phone number on the system, who knows if it would have a been a current reachable number for her husband. Later she told us her husband was really busy at work. He was too busy to give us a call, to give us the okay to give her the money. So, by her logic, being too busy to make a phone call is not the same thing as being to busy to answer a phone call. ~ Now the story gets better.

She asks if we she can send in her sons I.D. From what I could see she had 2 maybe 3 kids in the car, and none of them were older than 10. I don't know what I.D. she was referring too. Maybe a school I.D., which still only has a picture and no signature. And, lest we forget the bigger problem at hand. Her husband john, is still the only signer on the account. Her son is not.

I told her she could use our ATM to get some cash. I was thinking she might possibly have a card from an account at another bank. She snapped back, "we don't have a card on that account, if you'd look you'd see that". I wanted to say "no ma'am, you wouldn't have a card on this account because its your husband's", but I kept that to myself.

So she just sat there and I explained again that we were very sorry but we couldn't help her take the 30 dollars out of the account. We needed to talk to her husband and we couldn't verify who she was, because she didn't have I.D. She responded rather rudely that "You're not sorry, if you were sorry you would do this for me".
I almost wanted to say alright I changed my mind. You're right I'm not sorry. . . and some other not nice things but I refrained. So she drove off in a huff because we weren't just blindly handing out people's money.

The End. Honestly People, They Do Walk Among US.

No comments:

Post a Comment