Sunday, September 11, 2011


“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001


“Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew. “
- President George W. Bush, December 11, 2001

I remember that day well, but I feel like I've mentioned it already. I remember watching the first plane hit the north tower on the news before I went to school. We didn't really learn much that day. We had the tv on in most of my classes as we watched the terror unfold.. The second plane hit, the plane landed in Pennsylvania at the Pentagon. My history teacher led a discussion about terrorism, and why these terrible things were happening. I remember watching cops and firefighters on the news and people standing in the streets looking at the scene in horror. September 11th was also the first day of nanny job and the little man I watched turned 1 year old that same day.

Most of all I remember commenting to my mom, This has turned into a big deal. My 8th grade brain didn't really grasp the enormity of the situation or what this attack really meant.
Although I didn't have any loved ones on the planes or living back East, I am still an American. We were all affected. That day was living history and its neat to be able to look back and remember that I was part of it. My mom remembers where she was when JFK was shot. I remember the day the Towers came down. Now that I have my munchkins growing up (ranging from almost 11-6 months) I just hope that nothing this horrible happens again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment