Thursday, November 10, 2011

country music

I have to go on a rant after watching the CMAs this past week. There are many people who are country "haters" and I partly understand why. There are both really talented musicians and writers in the country business and there are writers it seems who are just cranking out songs with no regard to how stupid there lyrics really are.

Here are three examples of groups that write their own music and that I really enjoy listening to.

Taylor Swift. I really like her music. Her songs might be a little juvenile but I love her writing style. She is great at unfolding a story through her music. Her words are always genuine and they flow like poetry.

I love the Zac Brown Band, particularly this song Colder Weather. There lyrics have great structure. They are simple but heartfelt and powerful.

I have really come to enjoy the Band Perry. I love the fact they they are siblings and that they get to create such great music together. Their lyrics are full of imagery and they I think the emotion is able to resonate with a lot of people.

Now. . here are a few examples of the artists that give country music a bad name.

Luke Bryan. His song Country Girl Shake it for Me
Here is a chorus and a verse from this awesome song.


Country girl, shake it for me
Girl, shake it for me
Girl, shake it for me

Sombody's sweet little farmer's child
With a gattle in her Bud to get a little wild
Pony-tail and a pretty smile
Rope me in from a country mile
So come on over here and get in my arms
Spin me around this big ole barn
Tangle me up like grandma's yarn
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I mean what the heck is a gattle? Tangle me up like Grandma's yarn? really?

One last song Eric Church sings a song called Drink in My Hand

Yeah fill it up, throw it down
I got a little hungover still hanging around
Yeah that hair of the dog is howling "hey there man"
All you got to do is put a drink in my hand.

Here are a couple of great titles I've also found.

She Got The Gold Mine and I Got The Shaft

Come Out of the Wheatfield Nelly, You’re Going Against the Grain

My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend And I Sure Do Miss Him

I Changed Her Oil, She Changed My Life

Drop Kick Me, Jesus, Through The Goalposts Of Life

Thank God And Greyhound She’s Gone

I’ve Got The Hungries For Your Love And I’m Waiting In Your Welfare Line

I Fell In A Pile Of You And Got Love All Over Me


To see what started this rant Click Here

http://abbaqueen.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-you-get-when-you-play-country-song.html




No comments:

Post a Comment