Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gypsies


So this past Saturday my dad and I drove up North to the Sandy area to pick up my new car. We bought the car from my dad's friend Willis. Willis and his entire family are real life gypsies. My dad first met them under less than desireable circumstances while he was working for the FBI. The entire family love my dad now. They think both my parents are just wonderful.

But, I learned some things about gypsies. They don't believe in going to school. They don't read or write. My dad was talking to them about family history and writing down geneological information, birthdate and place, about their family (parents grandparents. It was really eye opening. Willis does not even know where he was born. His wife was saying that their family had come by ship to New York. She was sure that they had come from Romania. I'm pretty sure she doesn't know where Romania is or she would realize Romania is not anywhere close to the Atlantic Ocean.

My dad was telling me that for the most part the gypsy people actually originated from India. It makes sense but I had no idea. More modern gypsies have come form all over Europe like Spain, Italy, England etc.

One of Willis's sisters was asking me about living with my parents. I explained that I lived in Provo, in an apartment with roommates. She said, "oh rent is so expensive though. I said "yeah, but not as expensive as school can be". She was shocked and responded "oh, you have to pay to go to school?" That pretty much ended the conversation.

But the entire family, at least the one's i met were really nice. They are funny and just really sweet people.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... I had no idea they existed still, at least not in America. Interesting. Yay for a new car!

    ReplyDelete