Sunday, July 10, 2011

Larry Crowne

I was able to see Larry Crowne on Friday and I am so glad I did. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Larry Crowne (Hanks) has just been downsized. The unfortunate victim of a failing economy, Larry decides that his best option to avoid becoming idle is to take some classes at his local community college. In no time, Larry befriends a colorful group of moped-obsessed outcasts on the road to self-improvement, and begins working to sharpen his communication skills in a public speaking class taught by Mercedes Tainot

I have always been a Julia Roberts fan and I love Tom Hanks. In this movie they did not disappoint. This movie was not what I would call challenging for the two stars. They were both as charming as ever. Roberts with her signature smile and laugh and Hanks with his quirky sense of humor. The plot of this movie was simple, straightforward. Some might call it predictable. But for this type of movie it worked. The movie was very character driven.

The actual story and the journey of the two stars is very real. It allows you to form a genuine connection and relate on a very personal level. All of have had days where we have felt disappointed or unhappy. We all remember being at school, and going to college; meeting new, eccentric friends; crazy teachers; hard classes; We have all felt the financial crunch of the economy whether it be with a mortgage or at the gas pump. This movie reminds us that we all have room for improvement but that we each have something special to offer.

There are a few scenes especially in the public speaking class that are laugh out loud funny. It actually made me wish I had taken a class like that at BYU. George Takei is hysterical as a quintessential Economics professor. The movie is very engaging, well paced and I had a smile on my face the entire time. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment