Friday, March 15, 2013

Snooki


This last week Snooki did an interview for US Weekly about how she lost 42 pounds after having her baby. It is hard for me to admit that I subscribe and read this magazine regularly but that is not the point of this post. I understand how a story like this can be inspiring and that it might be of interest to people who are fans of the Jersey Shore, however, there were a few statements that really surprised me and kind of made me angry.  It is great to feel motivated and to set goals to become healthy but it is not okay to base your personal value on what other people think.  

Statement #1 (p.s. I totally agree about endorphins-Legally Blonde taught us that-it’s the last part that upsets me.)  I have a lot of energy because I work out so much and the endorphins put me in a good mood. And when you’re skinnier, you feel so much better about yourself.
Statement #2  Snooki went off about how her chest is messed up and flappy, and then said “I can’t wait to get a boob job when I’m done having kids”.
Statement #3 (This is the real kicker. Part of me wanted to lose the weight for him [her fiancĂ© Jionni] because I’m psycho-I don’t want him to leave me.
I think there are better ways to inspire our friends, mothers, sisters, and women.

For example Tyra Banks  “Girls of all kinds can be beautiful -- from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain skinned, the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing and all in between. It’s not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box…Think outside of the box…Pledge that you will look in the mirror and find the unique beauty in you.”

or




No comments:

Post a Comment