Wednesday, November 17, 2010

GRE


I took the GRE the first time on Aug 19. I took a prep course from Kaplan, which was helpful. I also did at least 4 full length practice tests, essays and all. I was getting between 1200 and 1300 on the practice tests so I felt okay going into the actual testing center. However, after I left the testing center, and the exam was over, I felt like crying.
My scores were as follows (if I remember correctly. . )
Verbal: 590
Quantitative:550
Overall score was an okay 1140, my goal was to get at least 1200. I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

So second go around, I reviewed by 200 vocabulary words, and i met every Friday with Jordan to do a math(quantitative) practice tests. It was a great help. Granted we spent the first 20 minutes or so of our study sessions talking about Jordan's social life I really appreciate him spending the time to help me. November 15 I took the test for the second time
Verbal:680 (there were vocab words I actually studied and knew)
Quantitative: 590
Overall score 1270 baby.

I finally reached my goal and I felt so relieved not to have to worry about the test or look at flashcards every again. Now I have had my scores sent to 4 schools (BYU, Univ. of Utah, USU, and Univ. of Colorado-Boulder) and I get to began the fantastically fun project of filling out grad school applications.

Kaplan Prep Course-way to expensive (over $1000 dollars) but worth it I guess.
GRE Test Registration-$320 dollars ($160 a pop)
Having your big brother tell you he's proud of you-priceless

1 comment: