Friday, February 12, 2010

Stranger than Fiction.

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan

So I know this sounds really lame. I began to love reading and book in particular while watching Wishbone when I was little. Ever since I was introduced to the exciting, fantastic world of literature, I've really enjoyed reading. Granted I don't read as much as I should, but when I start a book I do kind of become obsessive. My mother has had to tell me more than once to put my book down. That happened quite a lot while I was reading Harry Potter. =-)

I know this sounds cliche, but I really like that books create a whole new world with new people to meet and places to visit. You can actually learn so much about anything your heart desires, you just have to pick the right book. Reading has also helped me learn about myself, the type of person I am, and what I'm interested in. I love discovering characters that I really like and that I relate to. There are characters I'm drawn to, and that I want to be more like, and there are certain characters I just really hate. I've also discovered that my favorite type of books are mysteries. I guess I have a very logical, pragmatic mind like my dad. I love sorting through details and studying the plot to figure out why and how certain things happened.

I really loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was little. When I was older I went through a wicked Mary Higgins Clark phase. I still really like her stories. I've recently read this book called The Cases That Haunt Us, written by FBI profiler John Douglas. In it he takes apart famous unsolved crimes like Jack the Ripper, Lizzie Borden, the Lindbergh kidnapping, the Zodiak Killer and the Jon Bennet Ramsey murder. He walks you through the events the crime, scrutinizes and analyzes the available evidence and offers his insights and opinions about possible suspects. Kind of Morbid, I know, but I've learned I find this type of book Fascinating. I just finished Wednesdays Letters and I am in the middle of PS I Love You.

I am a big advocate of reading. I want to set a realistic goal for myself and read one non school book a month at least. I also have this secret desire to join a book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment