Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Without a Song Or Dance What are We.


Joy, sorrow, tears, lamentation, laughter — to all these music gives voice, but in such a way that we are transported from the world of unrest to a world of peace, and see reality in a new way.

I love music. I love everything about it. I love playing music, I love listening to music. Music has a subtle power over me and a permanent home in my heart. I have been surrounded by music my entire life. Music lessons have taught me if nothing else determination. Music and has given me confidence and taught me how to work, and to stretch myself and to reach goals. I have fond memories of performing when I was little. I was probably one of the most shy children you will ever meet. I remember crying through my first violin recital and my teacher getting up to play with me. I remember singing "Grandpa Tell me Bout the Good old Days" at my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, and singing Save the Last Dance with my sisters at their 60th. I remember competing at State Solo and Ensemble in High School, and playing countless duets in Church with Erin and Jordan. And who Can forget our stint into Bluegrass. What can I say? Its sort of like a rite of passage in our family. I met two of my best friends because I was involved in Orchestra. Even after High School we are still as close as ever and love getting together.

I love how music can capture a moment perfectly. There are songs that are sweet, songs that make you want to cry. There are songs that make you want to dance, and songs that just make you smile. Music is very much capable of telling a story from beginning to end and bringing you through and turbulent emotional ride in the process. I dare anybody to listen to One Day More or Defying Gravity without your having your heart start to race. These songs are deep and enticing and pretty much perfection. To Me there is nothing closer true beauty and loveliness than hearing Yo Yo Ma play Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 or Franz Liszt playing his La Campanella.

Music helps me unwind and relax and clear my mind. Music helps can make things better when everything goes wrong. When I get to play my violin and piano, however horrible it may sound, it always allows me to escape and to forget about school, and deadlines, and stress.

Music has been my playmate, my lover, and my crying towel. ~Buffy Sainte-Marie

1 comment: