Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Aggies!

So Saturday I drove up to Logan to Visit my friends who are at USU. The trip was really fun and it was nice change to leave Provo. Saturday Night we decided to go to the basketball game against San Jose.

The game was interesting. . but definitely a good time. The start of our good fortune/karma happened before the game even started. I was with Luke and Wayne. Luke is a student at USU so he gets into the game for free. Wayne and I were in line to buy tickets for the game when a very very kind soul gave us two of his tickets. He gave them to us for free. I guess they were extra and he didn't have as many people as he had counted on coming to the game.

Then, I got to learn how to do the Scotsman correctly. The fight song starts out with a low horn that sounds like a cow. Then you sing the song twice through.
"Show me the Sotsman who doesn't love the thistle
Show me the Englishman who doesn't like the rose
Show me the true blooded Aggie from Utah
Who doesn't love the spot where the sagebrush grows"
The first time through you raise your hands up in the air and move them left to right. They call this "herding the cows." Then the second time through you have this arm action going on that they call "milking the cows"

The actual game was pretty exciting. The score kept close enough to make the game interesting. We all know that blow out games, as great as they are, can be boring. The Aggies really pushed forward and crushed San Jose in the second half. The Aggies made some amazing 3 point shots-nothing but net. I've discovered the USU crowd is very passionate about their basketball. There was yelling and taunting like you wouldn't believe.

Everytime San Jose had the ball the USU crowd would make this long sustained annoying high pitched "ahh sound" just to be distracting. Whenever San Jose would make a mistake or lose possession of the ball the Aggies would yell "YOu Suck". During San Jose's foul shots the Aggies would incessantly chant "you will miss it" "you will miss it'. And if San Jose did miss it and tried for their second free throw they would yell "we were right" We were right". If they weren't chanting they were making these freaky jungle bird noises just to shake up the other team. The first time it happened I kind of jumped out of my seat. I felt like I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
One of the highlights of the game was this guy that was at least 300 pounds sitting behind one of the baskets wearing a scuba mask and no shirt. I was disturbed.

Half time was fun. The Golden Girls came and danced to Love Shack. They are all between 50 (maybe 60) and 95 years young. Between them they had about 500 children and 1200 great grandchildren. The oldest lady there was 93 and freaking did a solo at the end of the song and went down into the splits. They also presented Coach Stew Morrill with a plaque to celebrate 5o0 career wins. That's dang impressive!!

he game really was fun especially since The Aggies beat San Jose by 20 points. Lets just say its a game I'm not going to forget anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment