Friday, December 24, 2010

Have Yourself a Merry Christmas



This is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs. I was thinking of it tonight particularly as my family got together to have dinner (chicken noodle soup and rolls and salad) and have our white elephant gift exchange. It gets pretty cut throat, let me tell you. I ended up with a piggy bank and pennies, flashlights and a cheap-o make up kit. Isabel traded me an embroidered quote by President Monson for my piggy bank, and Jake traded me his book "Agent Bishop" for my flashlights. Lindsay still got the Starbucks gift card, if Jordan and I had planned better we could have traded it around 3 times and taken it out of circulation just to make Lindsay upset for fun ha ha. I know we are brats, but that's what younger siblings are for.

Anyway my point is the lyric in the song that says "through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow" reminded tonight of how much I wish Adrienne and Erin and their families could have been here in Utah for Christmas. Especially after a particularly pathetic text Adrienne sent us because Will was at the hospital til 9 tonight. We haven't all been in the same place for such a long time. They were all here this summer but Jordan was only here a day or two and then had to go back to New Mexico. Every Christmas Eve I think about how we'd celebrate Nick and Nathan's birthdays, when we were all still at home and spent Christmas together. We would get together with the Madsons and the Walters for dinner. Then we'd have a crazy game of Balderdash (family against family) or a canasta tournament. I miss that tradition.

But we all had a lot of fun and I can't wait to give my parents their presents tomorrow. Anyway I am about half way through A Christmas Carol. I try every year to finish that book but I never give my self enough time. I still have tomorrow, and we will see how far I get. Merry Christmas everybody. Enjoy the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment