Friday, July 19, 2013

Degas and the Dancers


Today is my brother Jordan's birthday. So here's a shout out to my big brother.  Last year he had a pretty great day if I say so myself. You can read about it here. Jordan also shares a birthday with one of my favorite artists. 
Hilaire Germain Edgar Degas, was born July 19th 1834 in Paris. Like many Impressionists, Degas liked to experiment with light, angles, and focus. But he differed from many Impressionists in that he did not paint outdoors or study the effects of light on landscapes. 

One of Degas' favorite subjects was the ballet dancer. He loved to paint the dancers practicing in rehearsals or backstage before a show. He wanted to capture their energy and grace, but also their hard work and effort. During his career he created more than a thousand pictures of dancers. I love these paintings because the colors are soft, they are delicate, and you can really feel the movement. 









Do you have a favorite artist?




No comments:

Post a Comment