Tuesday, July 23, 2013

If You Ask Me


I’ve been thinking lately that I need to be a more independent thinker. I’ve found myself being influenced way too much by what others think. I will let Amazon reviews weigh slightly on my decision when I order a book and I will let critics sway my choice of whether to see a movie or not. I’ve usually been the person that will go see a movie just so I can say I liked it and why. I just want to be able to form my own opinion. I know it’s almost impossible to block outside voices completely but I am making a goal to do my best. So today I thought I might share a few of my opinions with you .
Let’s start with some easy ones.


I prefer dogs over cats. Dogs seem to be more emotionally connected with their owners while cats always seemed a little stuck up. Dogs are happy to see you. They will go running with you and they just love to play.



Oversized Sunglasses-I am a fan. Some people say that wearing oversized sunglasses make you seem like you are imitating celebrities, I do not agree. I think they are cute and functional. They block out sun completely whereas little glasses might let sunlight blind you through your peripheral. And who wouldn't want to be more like Audrey Hepburn?



Next, the movie The Phantom of the Opera. It received a sorry 33% on rotten tomatoes. To quote the website “The music of the night has hit something of a sour note: Critics are calling the screen adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's popular musical histrionic, boring, and lacking in both romance and danger.”  This might be but I actually really liked the movie.  I do love Gerard Butler and I was impressed with his singing for the most part. Emmy Rossum and Patrick Wilson are so talented. I have the movie soundtrack on my ipod and love listening to it.  While the movie isn’t perfect I think the costumes were gorgeous and the direction captured the grandness of the opera house and the story. Plus the changed ending is the perfect wrap up of the Phantom's story.                                             
The Catcher in the Rye. According to Wikipedia “The Catcher in the Rye is a 1951 novel by J. D. Salinger. Originally published for adults, it has since become popular with adolescent readers for its themes of teenage angst and alienation. It has been translated into almost all of the world's major languages. Around 250,000 copies are sold each year with total sales of more than 65 million books. The vel's protagonist and antihero, Holden Caulfield, has become an icon for teenage rebellion. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923, and it was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century.

I hated this book. I hardly ever say that about books in general but this is one of two books in my entire life that I felt was a waste of time. I read it and for the first 150 pages, I felt like nothing happened. Boy flees prep school. Boy takes girl on date. Boy revisits childhood home in Manhatten. Maybe I’m missing some deep message but I was not a fan. One Good reads review summarizes my thoughts perfectly.
"Sometimes truth isn't just stranger than fiction, it's also more interesting and better plotted. Salinger helped to pioneer a genre where fiction was deliberately less remarkable than reality. His protagonist says little, does little, and thinks little, and yet Salinger doesn't string Holden up as a satire of deluded self-obsessives, he is rather the epic archetype of the boring, yet self-important depressive. "


No comments:

Post a Comment