Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Throwback Thursday-1st Job


I started my first job in 8th grade. My neighbor started teaching in her dance studio and I was her nanny for 5 years. It was basically just for the school year, from September to May. When I started my neighbor had one little boy, Cade. My very first day was Cade’s 1st birthday which happened to fall on September 11, 2001.  The next year, my neighbor had another little boy named Zach.

Being a nanny really is a great job. It was only 2 or 3 days a week. I got to watch movies, read books with the kids, play games, make cupcakes, and color.  It was awesome. I did that until I graduated from high school. I can't believe that Cade is now almost 13 and he is taller than I am. 

I guess my first legitimate job was an interesting experience. When I started college I got a job with campus Dining Services. Basically I helped prepare cafeteria dinner food for all of the freshman who lived in the dorms. My duties could include anything from
-chopping and cutting fruit
-slicing meat
-cooking things in the fryer
-washing dishes
-making mashed potatoes in a blender bowl big enough to fit 4 small children.

I'm talking about one of these bad boys that has to be on the floor. 

The bright spot of working for Dining Services was meeting my friend Danica. We both started our kitchen jobs at the same time. We were forced to spend 4-5 hours together every day and I’m glad we got along so well.  Danica and I would just chat and we got to know each other pretty well. We’d talk about our families and about school obviously. Danica was studying and doing a lot of musical theatre so we would also talk about our favorite shows. Sometimes we’d play simple games like Would You Rather during the afternoon and sometimes we’d just start singing and have a fun time. If I remember correctly there was a rendition of Popular from Wicked that was quite impressive.



No comments:

Post a Comment