Monday, January 11, 2010

Why I Chose my Degree


I'm warning you all this is a tear jerker story. . . .

So in my articulation disorders class, my teacher Prof. Dorais, told us about this little boy she had done therapy with. His name was Collin.

We discovered watching recordings of his therapy sessions that he couldn't say his [k] sounds. So when he said car it would sound like tar and when he said cow it would it would come out tow.
He also couldn't say his [L ] sound. They had the [w] elmer fudd-esque sound. So he couldn't say turtle really well. So, for example if he said line, it would sound like wine.

The worst part in case you haven't put it together. . he name has both of these sounds in them.
So when he said his own name it would come out Towin ([tah-win]). People would always say huh? and have him repeat his name when he said his name. Eventually he stopped saying his name all together.

I can't wait to help little kids like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment